Friday 5 July 2013

Day 64 ! CX Worx


I'm just going to clarify two things for those who enquired:

(1) There will be no reviews of any pregnancy classes. Mainly because I'm not pregnant. Maybe that’s another challenge if/when I am pregnant one day.

(2) There will be no reviews of Doga (dog yoga). Not mainly because I don't have a dog but because mainly I think that that's just loopy. Yoga positions with you dog? I have to draw the experimental line somewhere. I’m not convinced that this wasn’t a joke request but there ya have it.

So after Day 62 ! Bodyattak, I was pretty pro Les Mills - my friends were right, those classes are fun! And nae a bad workout either. So I was looking forward to CXWorx, which, I'll be honest, I had no idea was about. Usually you can kinda tell from the name of the class – whether it’s a balancey yoga class, an attacky aerobics class or pumpy weights class. A quick google before the class tells me it’s an intense, 30-minute core workout using resistance tubing (see photo at the end!). Alright, bring it on.

Now, I have an admission to make - I may have done the CXWorx class straight after the Bodyattack class (I had a wedding at the weekend and had to make up a class!), which arguably may have made me a tad tired but I figured a 30-minute class would be fine. The body can go through a lot if it knows that’s only 30-minutes, I say. And besides,  toning is different from the cardio-filled Bodyattack.

And, in this instance, I was right. Between the few minutes it took for people to get the equipment ready, the short ‘n’ sweet style of exercises and Instructor Rob’s chatty nature, the class flew by! The class had, unsurprisingly, some exercises with the resistance band – placing it under the feet while holding the handles and moving alternating feet in circles, back and forth and so on. It reminded me a bit of using the elastics in Day 47 Barrecore and Day 58 Xtendbarre – me no likely those elastics and me no likey the resistance band - they are hard! I find pulsing legs, feet, arms tricky enough on their own and with the added resistance, I find the minimal movement I can manage (and I’m trying!) a tad depressing. I assume (and hope!) that the finding it difficult means that the body is working hard so it’s all worthwhile (right?).

After a while, we switched (yay!) to core exercises on the mat – some trusty slow crunches, planks and superman holds. The class is not a high calorie-burner, but then it’s a core toning class so that’s as expected. Whilst it wasn’t quite as intensive as I thought, it was a gloriously sunny Friday and I was warned that the classes are less busy (and so less severe perhaps?) than an early week class. Makes sense I guess – you want to work it hard on a Monday morning and ease up by Friday. (Spoken like someone truly un-addicted-to-fitness…even 64 days in…)!

 The Need To Know:
- Where: Soho Gym Waterloo (http://www.sohogyms.com)
- Nearest Station: Waterloo (5mins)
- When: CXWorx on Mon 19.45, Tues 13.15, Wed 19.30 and Fri 13.15
- How Much: Day membership £12 else monthly memberships available.
- Special Note: Day memberships can join any class so pick a day with a few classes you fancy and make a day of it!
  
The Want to Know:
- Who’s it For: For those who a quick core blast
- Sweat Scale: 6/10.
- Strength / Cardio / Flexi / Tone: Toning (core)
- Complexity: 6/10
- Fun Factor: 6/10
- Changing Facilities: Toilets, showers, normal gym changing rooms (with a few wee toiletries!)
- Instructor Inspiration: 7/10. Same Instructor Rob as from Bodyattack!

The Stats:
- Total Time: 22mins
- Calories Burnt: 79.
- Average Heart Rate: 102bpm
- Max Heart Rate: 139bpm


The Bands of Resistance

8 comments: